The Thousand Rand Challenge Business Plan Template
This document provides a template of headings for presenting any business idea. The objective is to produce a step-by-step tool that illustrates every step of the business creation process. It should be possible, by following the information, to produce a viable business.
All text in italics should be deleted (including these introductory paragraphs) for use as a template on newly created business idea pages. Please ensure that the new page you're creating really is a new idea. Check the front page for a current list of businesses, or perform a search.
This heading area should contain a brief outline of the nature of the business - change the heading at the top to list the type of business - e.g. Fish and Chips Frying
Description of the business Edit
Within each sub-heading are a series of questions that require detailed answers. Simply fill in your commentary beneath the headings. Note that these headings and the methodology are here, partly to be pedantic, but mostly to ensure a consistent approach across a number of unrelated businesses. It makes searching for information far easier if you know where to start.
What exactly is it that is going to be sold or done?
- Running a day care service
Place your research into the business under each of the bold headings and delete the text in italics.
What skills are needed to do this? Where is this taught and how much will it cost?
- She has worked at the day care before, she's got the skills to work with children and the experience
What tools or equipment are needed? Where can they be bought, and how much will they cost?
- The client needs toys,dishes and cups, mattresses.
- She already has some toys but would like to add more therefore she will need R250
How much space is needed to work from?
- Two rooms, one as a kitchen and the other for the kids.
Where will the space be found, and how much will it cost to rent?
- The client will work from home and will therefore not need to pay rent
What sort of people will buy the product? Who are they and where do they live?
- It is people who work,men and women, and need their kids to be taken care of.
How much and how often will they buy? Will they come to the shop or will it be necessary to deliver?
- The clients will bring their children to the creche every weekday
Upstream Businesses Edit
A list of businesses and ideas that provide the services and products that this business needs.
Downstream Businesses Edit
A list of businesses and ideas that this business could provide products for.
What major competitors will attract clients' spending away from the business' products?
- There are two other creches in the area
What prices and products do these companies have?
- They run a day care and charge R100 per child
What makes them popular / unpopular?
- they are popular because they have been there for a long time
What do they do to attract customers? Specials? Interesting marketing / advertising?
- They provide no specials or interesting marketing
Which of the competitors stand out as being particularly good at what they do?
- none of them are good, all they care about is money.
What can be done to stand out against them? What can be done that is more exciting / more interesting?
- She is going to provide safety for the kids
- Love and kindness because she knows how to take care of the children
Marketing the business to clients Edit
What sort of people will buy the products and how important is product consistency to them (e.g. must every loaf of bread be identical)?
- The customers are working mothers and fathers who need care for their children
- she will treat every child with the same causion and care
How seasonal or fashion-dependent are their buying habits (do they buy only in summer, only over Christmas, etc.)? The business is the same all year long
Do the clients want the products to be the cheapest or the best (low price / low quality or high price / high quality)?
- All the clients look for the same thin, no matter what the price is. They want the best care for their children, a place where they are loved and cared for.
How do the clients decide where to buy the products? What sorts of advertising / promotions attract their interest?
- The clients seek for her service as she has a good reputation in her communit.
- She will advertise in places where people with children frequent.
Do the clients want the same things sold in the same way, or do they want things to change all the time?
- They want the same care for their children
What can be done to attract the first clients (the most important and most difficult to get)? How much will it cost?
- She already has clients she therefore will ask them to to spread the word and tell other people about her creche.
The business inputs and outputs Edit
List all of the inputs (products that are required to produce the products):
- Sponges for sleeping
- plstic plates and cups
- Face clothes and soup
- Toilet paper and tissues
List all the suppliers for the inputs and their addresses, telephone numbers, and sales terms (cash, 30 days, etc.):
List all of your outputs (products created by your business):
- Giving children a safe and loving care in which they can grow
What sort of prices can be charged and how much profit will can be made on each item (a rough estimate)?
- She charges parents R80 per child per month.
- She has 20 children so she makes R1600 a month
Do the outputs have a shelf-life? Must they be sold within a specified time limit before they go off / can't be sold? Which ones? It is a service, it doesn't have a shelf life.
Setting up the business Edit
List everything that needs to be done to prepare the business to be ready (list everything needed to have as well, both equipment and stock):
- A she needs more toys.
How long will it take to get all of these things and how much will they cost to get?
- It will take half a day, it will cost R220 for toys and transport.
List all the fixed costs to be paid every month even if nothing is sold (things like rent, electricity, telephone, staff wages):
- Her fixed cost is electricity.
Total amount for fixed costs: R_______________
How many staff will be needed and how much will each of them be paid (wages must be included in the fixed costs above)?
- She is currently working on her own.
What training will they need, how long will it take and how much will it cost?
- She is experienced
The manufacturing or production process Edit
List every step, from start to finish, to produce the product
- Children arrive at about 7 o'clock
- She feed them mielie porridge around 7:30
- She lets them play for the next 2hours
- They are then serve cool drinks
- Story time
- Nap time
- Lunch time
- Watch cartoons on t.v
- Dance or drawing
- Nap time
- Home time
Allocate each of the manufacturing steps to a process and a process to a staff member (e.g. all manufacturing steps A to process 1):
- All steps are allocated to the client
What possible problems may happen during each step of the manufacturing process?
- Children are very careless so eccidents may occur
What solutions can be identified for these problems? How much will they cost and how long will they take to fix?
- She will have the child's medical history
- Have contact of parents in case of an emergency
- Always have a stocked emergency kit.
What is the maintenance program for all the equipment?
What safety requirements are important for production?
- She will have an excellent emergency kit
How will quality control and client feedback be handled?
- All the client's feedback will be taken serioulsly and notified as best as possible.
Costing and bookkeeping Edit
How many of each of the stock items can reasonably be sold each day (and month)?
Will sales volumes be a similar number of each item each month, or is there seasonal variation (cold months, hot, or festivals)?
What sort of pricing strategy will be chosen (cheapest or best)?
What profit margin will be chosen for the products
Write down the cost prices plus the margin for each stock item you will sell, and the selling price
- Every month she would need to pay:
5kg maize R24 5litre milk R22 5kg sugar R35 cooldrink R20 Electricity R100 All this costs equal R200 20 children x R80=R1600 R1600-R200=1400 in profit
Is this competitive? Will customers pay this much? Do the margins need to be adjusted? By how much?
- No, they do need to be adjasted
Now, set a target. How many items for each product need to be sold on a daily (and monthly) basis to be profitable?
Set out the products, costs, margins and selling prices:
Total per Month
X x number of working days in a month
R y.yy + R z.zz
= monthly target x selling price
What trends are included in the projections?
Running the business Edit
What is the process for running the business on a typical day? Who will be responsible for each step? Link this back to the production process.
Who will act as backup should the person responsible not be there? What do they need to act as backup?
What weekly processes need to be performed? Who is responsible, who is backup and what tools are required?
What monthly processes need to be performed? Who is responsible, who is backup and what tools are required?
What is the schedule for training and motivating staff?
What processes are required for maintenance and new product creation? Who is responsible and what tools do they need?
Before beginning Edit
List some of the support services available (legal, business and other) that might be needed
What major laws concern the business, and which government departments should be called to keep up to date (list phone numbers)?
Related articles Edit
Insert links to articles on Wikipedia or other Wikis that may be useful (such as recipes, legal discussions, accounting articles, and so on)
List links to outside websites that may be useful for anyone starting this business
Business Trials Edit
List your name if you started a business based on this plan, where you started the business, and how you did Links to case histories - you are welcome to develop these and insert them in your personal page (create this by developing a personal profile) Retrieved from "http://startup.wikicities.com/wiki/TRC_templates" ViewsArticleDiscussionEditHistoryMoveWatch Personal toolsMzandoloMy talkPreferencesMy watchlistMy contributionsLog out Navigation Main Page Community portal Current events Recent changes Random page Help Search
What links here Related changes Upload file Special pages Printable version wikicities Wikia Home Report a problem Live chat and support
Spam: Report wiki spam so the spam cleanup script can remove spam from your wiki.
This page was last modified 09:03, 7 December 2005. Content is available under GNU Free Documentation License. About Startup Disclaimers Wikia℠ and Wikia℠ are the intellectual property of Wikia, Inc. All rights reserved.